Thursday, September 22, 2011

Chair Part Two





The next step after removing all the old upholstery and batting was to replace the underpinning fabric. I decided to encase all the padding in unbleached muslin in order to hold everything in place. The cushions were then stapled back on the chair, and on the seat base, they had to be hand sewn with a fish-hook like needle. 




Then for the fun part: cutting out the new fabric! I chose this linen because it tied the color of the walls and rug together well. 











The back has been covered here and the base is being sewn together and applied.

Everything finished but the cushion. Turns out I saved the most difficult piece for last. After several attempts at a zipper it's finally finished- thank goodness the zipper is in the back, where nobody can see it!






I wonder what my grandmother would think of her chair now? 

1 comment:

CL said...

You do good work, girlie!! I want photos of the finished room. Pretty funny about Gracie scratching. Maybe you should build the girls and Gomer a cat tree now that you are an ace upholsterer. <3