Sunday, November 1, 2009

Before the Fall



Each year around this time I try to remember to get a photo of the Japanese Maple in front of our house, and each year the leaves have fallen before I get around to it. But not this year, this year is different; yesterday I grabbed the camera after a woman walking by with her dog commented on the great color and I was able to catch the image before the first fiery red leaf fell off.

In the spring the tree produces lovely reddish-maroon leaves, they're pretty but not stunning. During the last week of October, on cue, the leaves go from "nice" to an amazing fiery red before the leaves curl up and fall off.

We also have our outdoor lights up and functioning after 8 weeks of no lighting-- just in time for Halloween and the trick-or-treaters. I'm so happy with how the house looks and the Japanese Maple is the icing on the cake.

2 comments:

environmental fiend said...

very pretty!

i love a japanese maple...my neighbor has one across the street. we also had one as our "ceremony tree" but unfortunately it got over-watered when we were in ireland and i think it's dead. :(

Tina said...

Yay for you the tree is gorgeous, I love a Japanese Maple, grew up with one in my yard as a kid. The house looks beautiful, job well done!