Sunday, January 10, 2010

One Resolution

Each year around this time many of us resolve to make ourselves perfect. We're going to lose that 10lbs, eat better, go to the gym, have more patience, be on time, grow our own food, blah, blah, blah. To date, I've only made 2 successful resolutions, the first being to take 20 minutes each day doing something I want to do. Not something I need to do or that has to get done, but something just for me.

The other one, which I made years ago, was to take better care of myself, though at the time I made this resolution I didn't understand that it wasn't a "good" goal. Somehow I stumbled through and was able to keep it, by breaking it down into some smaller goals.

This isn't to say that I'm perfect- far from it. But, I can say that for most of the time I'm able to keep up with these two. While I was in the hospital I learned the key to my success from one of my physical therapists, who told me that in order for a goal to be a a success it has to be SMART.

S- Specific
M-Measurable
A-Attainable
R- Realistic
T- Timely

So obvious! Yet when setting goals in the past, I've never considered this acronym.

In examining the two I have been able to stick with, it's easy to see why these are the resolutions that have worked for me. The first is specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. The second: "I'm going to take better care of myself" is a tough one because it's not well defined. By simplifying the statement to "I will exercise at least 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes/session; I will do my twice daily treatments at least 6 days a week; I will eat at least 3 meals/day; I will get at least 7 hours of sleep/night" it becomes measurable, specific and realistic.

So thanks to my PT, Katie, I now am able to make a realistic resolution for 2010. In the past, I've resolved to start meditating. Sure, a nice idea, but an intimidating one. How long to sit? How to find the time? It was easy to skip it, thinking "I just don't have 30 minutes to spend sitting. I'll do it tomorrow". Therefore, the one resolution I am making this year is that I will meditate for at least 5 minutes/day, immediately following my exercise. Is it SMART? Yep. I've been doing it for 9 days so far and can say I actually look forward to it. Five minutes is next to nothing; I can do that!

Hopefully, next year at this time, I'll be able to say I have 3 successful resolutions under my belt.


1 comment:

Tina said...

Oh Kim I love this post. I am so happy for you and so proud to know you. I'm the grasshopper here. First of all... the "SMART" acronym is wonderful and the answer to what I have been struggling with. So thank you.... Second...I have a question, what is that "bowl" is it a tool used during meditation? Looks that way but enlighten me???