Sunday, January 31, 2010

Papa's Got a Brand New Bag


The year 2008 was definitely Year of the Pillow. I went crazy making pillows for all our freshly painted rooms: the 3-season porch, our bedroom and Wilson's room. Last year, 2009, I'll call The Year of Soap with a small dash of ottoman slip-covering towards the end, culminating with the now infamous sew-through-my-right-index-finger incident. They say you have to get right back on the horse after you're thrown, so I did make 2 more after the disastrous first one, thankfully without any bodily harm.

Twenty-ten is starting off as another year of soap, a couple quilts and my latest favorite project: bags. Now that the trend to BYO shopping bags to stores is catching on, you really can't have too many bags. It's a great way to recycle old shirts, sheets and jeans. I have to confess I did purchase some heavy canvas for the one pictured but I am using up some of my fabric stockpile for the linings. A little recycling is better than none, right?

3 comments:

CowTown said...

I love it!!! I have so many desires to make bags and cute tops for myself, and as gifts but I don't know how yet. Hopefully one of these days soon I'll learn and start doing. :) I really like the side pockets you've got there too.

I've been stock piling a bunch of clothes and material just for this occasion so I have made half the effort so far. lol.

I love your creative spirit, it inspires me.

Shannon said...

Very cute bag. Did you use a pattern? Perchance is it online?? I love to sew but i have learned my lesson trying to sew without a patterm - I can't do it!! :)

Tina said...

Love the bag!!!!!