Monday, September 29, 2008

Brand New Day

Monday mornings, who likes them? When I was working I always dreaded Fridays, not because I loved my job so much, but because I worked on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night was a huge relief...aaah, another 5 days off. Fridays? The knot in my stomach and the sinking feeling that I had to go in to work for the next couple days. Now that I'm no longer employed outside the home (how politically correct!) and that J is home, one day sort of blends in to the next. The only way I know its a weekend or not is if we get together with friends who work full time.

Last night we got together with 2 of our best friends and had a wonderful fall dinner. Spicy-rubbed pork, roasted rosemary and olive oil potatoes and fresh veggies from the farmer's market. A delicious meal capped off with steaming mugs of tea and a hot, right-out-of-the-0ven apple crisp with melting vanilla ice cream. It was a perfect evening, good food, good conversation and a great way to end the week.

Maybe that is why I'm starting off this new week with a more positive feeling? Or perhaps its that there are quite a few things scheduled this week.. doctor, dentist and hair appointments, J's parents are coming to stay for a night and W will be home to see them. The house is organized, tidy and clean with fresh paint everywhere. We've cleaned out a lot of crap and are paring down to the things that are meaningful and essential. I consider this one small step in the direction of how I want to live my life: more simply. Cutting out the clutter and doing what makes me feel good. I'm not talking pure hedonism here, but more to the point of living out my values. That definitely makes me feel good. As the saying goes: Do what you like, like what you do.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Oh man Kim I envy your organization.
You sound like you have everything together. I used to be like that and I miss it, more than I thought. Well for now I will live vicariously through you. I'll try and suck up some of that serenity.
Hope to see you soon!