Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Introduction

As with most major things in my life I haven't planned anything for this blog, I assume it will just evolve as time goes by. I'm not a great one for having preconceived ideas about what I want something to be like, I enjoy the process and figure I'll know what direction I want to take it in as the process unwinds. Some of the biggest decisions I've made have come about this way, without having thought about them beforehand: when faced with a fork in the road I can decide which path to take, but before the fork is visible I don't anticipate its presence.

I think the major reason for starting this blog is that I am now at an interesting place in my life and am hoping that by writing I'll be able to clarify and work through some of the issues that I am facing. I'm 43 years old and my only child has just gone off to college. Also throw into the mix the fact that I have cystic fibrosis, which complicates just about every area of my life. I have a wonderfully supportive husband who is currently out of work and doing the job search thing. To say I'm at a crossroads would be an understatement: I'm at the end of one road and have entered a large field where there are no visible paths. Its quite an exciting and daunting time for me. Who am I? What do I want to do with the rest of my life? What is my purpose and how do I live up to my potential? I'll try to stay away from such cliched as "empty nest syndrome" and "midlife crisis", but in effect I suppose those are some of the issues I'll be exploring. Hey, its cheaper than therapy!!!

No comments: