Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Number Three

W and I returned from Buffalo Saturday evening after the 8 hour drive, thankfully it didn't snow, although the skies looked like they wanted to for the entire ride back east. Aaaah, how good it is to be home! Being away is always lots of fun, especially with family that we don't see often enough, but nothing- nothing- compares to being in your own home. After 3 days of being around people the quiet is more noticeable and that much sweeter. It was a lot of fun seeing all the nieces and nephews on J's side, how much they've grown since the last time we saw them! It was fun getting to know them and hopefully now they'll remember us for the next get-together. The twins were especially enthralled with the scarves I was knitting them for Christmas. I can't wait to send them off now.

Yesterday morning I received a call from my dear friend Kathy. She and her family were having a belated Thanksgiving at their house and invited W and me to celebrate with them. How could I refuse? The prospect of spending the day with good friends and eating another delicious turkey dinner was far too good to pass up. It was a lovely time, K had all the traditional dishes: squash, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry and, of course, turkey. We ate, laughed a lot and then ate some more. It was the perfect ending to our Thanksgiving "season" this year - spending the day with old and dear friends. I do feel truly blessed.

Now I have the pleasure of two days alone before picking Joe up at the airport Tuesday evening. It is awfully quiet around here, and I miss him, but it's also nice to have a little alone time to recharge my batteries. I don't have to worry about waking him up if I decide to get up early to make muffins for W before he goes back to school. I can clean the house and turn up my cheesy 80s music as loud as I want and not worry about bothering anyone else. I wish I was better able to explain it: there's something in me that just needs a bit of space now and again. I love being around people and I can't imagine being alone full-time, I'd never want that, but now and again I just want to be by myself. I guess it's just the way I'm wired. The next 2 days will be refreshing and I'll be extra-glad to pick J up at the airport tomorrow night.

One last thing to add to our Thanksgiving blessings list: a friend with CF received his double lung transplant on the 27th after waiting only a day! He is doing amazingly well and I couldn't be more thrilled for him and his family. That alone makes this year the most special Thanksgiving I can remember.

No comments: