Friday, February 27, 2009

Simple Living

One of the things I'm exploring at this point in my life is how to live simply. With Joe out of work for a year it was a great opportunity to practice non-consumerism. How amazing it would be if we could continue that way of life now that he is working again! Of course, we have some catch-up to do; things that need to be repaired or purchases we put off until he was employed again. Once we are caught up I'm hoping we can find some happy medium - not completely abstain from purchases, but consider carefully before buying.

So here I am, 44 years old, an empty nester, trying to figure out where to go from here. I truly am living the life I want to lead, I don't think I'd change a thing. Wilson is happy at school, has a wonderful group of friends is and blossoming as a person. Joe has a good job that seems to be a nice combination of challenging and stimulating. The company he's working for is a good fit for him: they appreciate loyalty and focus on quality, two of his biggest strengths. We have a home which is perfect for us: small, cozy and simple with a pretty yard that I enjoy working in. I have the time to do the things that are important to me: cooking from scratch, spending time with family and friends, pursuing my interests and learning more about living sustainably and in an environmentally friendly manner. We have 4 sweet cats that are great company and an endless source of entertainment.

Sometimes I forget or take for granted how lucky I am to be living a life that is perfectly in sync with my values. We might not have high-powered jobs or be the richest people on the street, but I'm willing to bet that there isn't anyone who is more fortunate in the most important ways.

No comments: