Saturday, January 31, 2009

Embrace What Is

Accept what comes to you totally and completely so that you can appreciate it, learn from it, and then let it go. -Deepak Chopra

I took this saying from a book I bought for Sue while I was visiting her in AZ because I wanted to remember it. I've been in a dry spell in terms of writing lately so I thought I'd take out this quite and use it as a topic for a blog.

So often I find that I've fought against what comes to me, tried to change it in some way or not appreciated the lesson it had to teach me. This year I've been attempting to be more in tune with events and experiences; embrace them instead of trying to change how things are or wishing things were different. It takes a lot of energy to do that ,energy that could be better spent elsewhere. What a simple concept but it's one that has taken me over 40 years to learn.

I've come to appreciate the fact that I don't work outside the home. Yes, it makes me uncomfortable when someone asks me "what do you do for work", that's probably something I'll never get over. But I'm starting to embrace the fact that I am a homemaker and can do so many things that other people aren't able to do. Why fight reality? I can't change it so no sense in wasting the time and energy wishing it was different.

I'm guilty of projecting my insecurities on other people and imagine that they might think less of me for not working. Do some of them actually look down on me? Possibly, or maybe even probably. Why should I care? Are these people I really want to spend time with then, if they would judge someone on that simple fact? The answer is no. I need to learn to not care what others think of me and just be happy as what I am. More than likely the majority of people don't even give it a second thought that I don't work outside the home; I have CF. It's just who I am and part of my life. On to next topic of conversation.

Of course, I'm thinking of only this one example and how it applies to the quote from Deepak Chopra. Keeping it in mind in any situation that arises will be a big step foward in living a happier and more peaceful life.

No comments: