Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What a Day

I'm not one for watching much television; in fact, I'm somewhat television averse. Today was different, I've had the TV on the entire day. The reason? Today was the day our 44th president was inaugurated, Barak Hussein Obama, the country's first African-American president.

There was a part of me that didn't really believe he'd be elected; still, I hoped against hope, feeling that he'd be the right leader for our country at this particular time in history. When the news came down that he was going to be our next commander-in-chief there was a renewed sense of hope. People seemed to have a sense of optimism that had been absent for a number of years now.

The coverage started early this morning but the moment most people were waiting for happened at 12:04: Barak Obama was sworn in as president. It was a truly amazing moment. I found my eyes welling up for some inexplicable reason. Not only do I feel that our country will be going in a new direction, it's a real sign of hope that we now have our first Black president. I'm very proud of my country, something I haven't had much occasion to say much in the past 8 years.

Another special milestone for today is that it's our 19th anniversary. Over the years we've had some wonderful times and some difficult times, but I can't think of anyone else I'd rather go through life with. I love you, Joe.

No comments: