Thursday, March 26, 2009

Trying Something New

Yesterday I bought some wonderful-looking seeds for "black beauty" eggplants,-a small fruited eggplant that only grows about as big as your fist (which I guess could vary quite a bit, depending on the size of your hand!)

I had prepared the seed starting pots last weekend and gave them a few days to absorb all the moisture and settle down before planting the seeds. I had already picked up tomato, bush bean, zucchini, and broccoli seeds a few weeks earlier. All the pots were dutifully labeled and I started 5 pots of each type of seed, so if a few don't make it I'll still have a couple. Millie, who enjoys taking the outer mesh off of the peat pots, is doing her utmost to undo my hard work. I had to shut the seed starting trays in the spare bedroom to prevent her from wreaking havoc with them.

I wish I had enough space for a proper veggie garden; as it is I'm going to try growing most things in pots, or maybe a few in the ground mixed in amongst the shrubs and flowers: A true cottage garden! I've had the soil tested and there isn't any evidence of lead, which is good, but I still worry about the neighbors on either side, whom I know aren't organic, and I don't know what sort of things they throw down on their properties. One of the drawbacks to being so close together in our community!

I'd like to get some photos of the seed trays to document the process, if for no other reason than future reference. It's exciting to be trying something new and different. No doubt there will be some failures mixed in with the successes; trial and error is the best teacher as far as I'm concerned. I'm excited to grow some of our own food and will see what works and what doesn't so I can plan for next year. Gardening is all about patience.

No comments: