Sunday, April 4, 2010

Put a Little Birdhouse in Your Soul


Or on your new back fence!

My dad is a very creative guy and for Christmas gave both me and my brother these garden-art birdhouses that he made from garden tools. The birdhouse was firmly attached and even the holes in the pitchfork were pre-drilled (screws included!) so it was ready to put up as soon as the weather got nice enough. My dad thinks of everything.

Knowing that we were going to be erecting a fence this spring I held off on installing it until it was up. I primed and painted the house white, leaving the roof and half moon on the door to weather (hopefully!) gray. I'd love it if a bird moved in but even if it remains unoccupied, it is an cool addition that gives some interest to the otherwise boring fence. There happened to be a purple clematis vine planted just underneath, so I'm hoping it will grow up the handle of the pitchfork. I was amazed it survived the chain-link removal and stockade installation. They are tougher than I imagined.

No comments: