Monday, June 15, 2009

List of Goals

I've never been one for long-range planning, someone who sets a goal and doggedly pursues it. I admire those who do that! It would be easy for me to blame it on CF, and perhaps it is partly to blame, but I suspect it's more of a personality trait than anything. I'm just not one of those people who has the vision to see what I want to be doing 2, 5 or 10 years down the road. In my mind, there are too many variables.

One of the reasons is that I just never know what life is going to send my way. It's true that none of us do, but some people are better at pursuing a goal despite this. I prefer to ride the wave, see where it carries me and then make the most of where I am on the journey. It isn't that I'm lazy or purposeless, but that going with the ebb and flow of life is the best way for me, personally, to feel at peace. In the meantime I can focus on where I am at that time and accomplish some short-term goals that suit me for the phase I am in.

I've seen some blogs where people list 101 things they'd like to do in 1001 days. Now, that I can handle! Some are big dreams, like bungee jumping or writing a book; others are smaller, such as getting a pedicure. I won't make a list of 101 things (yet) but have decided that this week, in addition to making my 'must do' list, I'm going to put a few things on it that I'd like to get done, loose ends to be tied up.

Yesterday I cleaned and organized the closet in our spare bedroom and came across several unfinished projects: a couple quilts that just need to have the binding finished, an applique square that is 80% done, and a few other odds and ends. It would be nice to have these things completed and crossed off my list.

Maybe once they are finished I'll feel more ambitious and will either start a new quilt or even write a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'm a list maker these days simply because if it doesn't get written down, it doesn't get done :-) But there is something nice about being able to check things off a list. I just have to be careful not to make the list too long and unmanageable or it becomes an anchor, weighing me down.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I cannot even remember where I got the fabric for the clothespin bag. Over the years I've hit garage sales, traded with friends, bought online and in fabric stores... anywhere I can "get a fix" for my fabricaholic tendencies. LOL Right now I'm waiting on some fabric I bought on ebay and from the Keepsake Quilting site, plus some I won on the SEWN carnival.

My daughter puts together a package every few weeks and sends it. Because of customs she has to send one large envelope at a time, no more than an inch thick and not too heavy. So she usually puts in 1-2 books, some fabric and any little odds and ends I might need (like Hidden Valley Ranch packets).

I'm pretty excited to see the retro fabric I picked up :-) I have so many ideas of projects! Bags, aprons, quilts... Right now I have two quilts in my sketchbook I'm raring to get going on (both smaller wall quilt ideas).

Have fun finishing those projects you found in the closet so you can start a new one!

Tina said...

I am a list fiend unfortunately I have lists written everywhere. I am getting to it though. One thing at a time.