Saturday, June 13, 2009

Upload the Toad


The title of this post was going to be something
to like "Frog Blog", which had a great ring to it, but Joe thoughtfully informed me that the subject of my photos is a toad, not a frog. Well, as luck would have it, there is an internet-y word that rhymes with toad as well. So there!













We've had a dreary week with lots of barely-raining days, drizzle and just plain clouds. I don't know for sure if toads like this kind of weather, but I can imagine that they might. Their warty skin would stay cool and damp if they are out and about on a day like this.

I noticed this little fellow as I was leaving the house one morning; at first I thought it was a clump of dirt (aaah, camoflage!) on the bottom front step. Upon closer inspection, I saw it was a little frog.... oops, toad.

Seeing wildlife, even something as ordinary as a common amphibian, always makes me happy. I shouted into the house for Wilson to hand me my camera. I wanted to try to get this little guy's picture before he hopped off and went about his business.

I'm glad to know he's living in my garden. I hope it's a sign of my organic yard being a hospitable environment. I'm going to sound crazy, but I worry about the birds and other creatures that wander onto the property of those who have the little yellow "caution- pesticide application" flags on ther lawns. Birds, snakes and frogs are all great for the garden- they're nature's pest control- and I am lucky to have them in my yard, protecting my veggies and flowers.

No comments: